The Product Owner will lead scrum team members and agency partners, in close collaboration with the Digital Product Manager, to realize the digital vision for the on-property guest digital experience, across all digital touchpoints (smartphone, signage, desktop, voice, etc.) for websites, and other digital touchpoints. This role is responsible for creating and breaking down capabilities or features into various artifacts, including user journeys, story maps, wireframe/sketch designs, user stories, product specifications, and non-functional requirements to propel the product forward from concept through development. In addition, this leader and their teams will be accountable for the successful launch of their digital product capability from ideation through implementation, as well as continuous support and optimization throughout the life of the product or capability.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record and understanding of product management principles and user experience design with respect to responsive mobile, native application, and web engineering, as well as the ability to provide guidance and leadership towards the development of amazing guest-facing experiences. The Product Owner will be responsible for ensuring her/his teams adhere to the consistent application of digital product design principles, design patterns, and shared code libraries to ensure efficient and scalable product development. The candidate must be able to collaborate with multiple product teams and vendor/ partners simultaneously, excel in a fast-paced environment, identify and leverage threads across multiple teams and departments.
The role will provide direct leadership over the individual contributors who bring products to market, leading a scrum team of employees, agency partners, contractors, and freelancers as digital products and initiatives are proposed, designed, developed, and launched. The Product Owner must have the leadership and drive to direct teams that ideate and deliver high-quality digital products for our customers, by living a culture of data-driven and end-user focused product design, engineering, delivery, and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Product Feature Definition: Leads a team responsible for the realization of the vision / concept of a digital product or set of capabilities by connecting multiple customer / employee touch points (research, feedback, etc.), and business drivers, with a customer-first focus. Provide leadership to ensure that the product specifications that are created enable a desirable, feasible and viable product for the relevant end-user. In addition, the Product Owner must deeply understand customer empathy and convey that to the wider team via storytelling to define the “what” and “why” a feature must be built.
- Product Readiness: Actively grooms a feature backlog and drives a product feature/user story to the agreed definition of “ready” via story mapping, quality writing of user stories along with their acceptance criteria, and through the approval of high-fidelity designs or prototypes to keep the scrum team loaded with a groomed backlog of work to properly enter a sprint to deliver the highest value.
- Product Delivery: The Product Owner is ultimately accountable for the execution of digital features that are conceived and developed and is responsible for the on-time and on-quality delivery of a specific set of product capabilities through careful prioritization and team review.
- Product Communication: Actively participates in daily scrums with team members to help drive priority decisions, remove roadblocks, and communicate changes in direction or priority shifts. Provides frequent communication to the product leadership on development progress, elevating any issues that could impact the budget, timeline, or strategic vision. The Product Owner must foster a highly collaborative team, where cross-discipline communication is paramount to the successful delivery of the product.
- Product Standards: Executes within the eCommerce digital principles, standards, and practices (through product definition, product design and product engineering) and is ultimately responsible for ensuring that all delivery teams within her/his product scope apply those practices to their various work and continually aid in the active validation and evolution of those practices.
- Product Quality: Defines and manages the defect backlog of the development team daily to ensure that priorities adhere to the strategic direction of the product while delivering a defect-free feature. Oversees the quality execution of the capability and it’s supporting creative assets developed for the feature, such as the visual design, content strategy, and copywriting. Ultimately responsible for the delivery of a defect–free product to the customer.
- Product Roadmap: Assists the Product Management team in communication of the overall product roadmap containing her/his product feature set – and collaborates with other product leadership to develop the overall product roadmap for all products. Works in close collaboration with the Digital Marketing Leadership to develop the annual operating plan for a digital product or set of digital product capabilities, including advocating for the appropriate level of funding necessary to meet the rapid adoption of digital products by customers and employees.
While this role does not have direct budget oversight, the Product Owner has the responsibility to control development costs and build product capabilities that will exceed revenue targets which determine the financial success of the product.
- Minimum of 3 years in a digital product, design, or engineering role, within an agile product team
- Certified Scrum Product Owner Training or Certification
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working in teams/organizations that bring high quality digital products to market
- Demonstrable portfolio of products and product journeys in market
- Experience with Adobe Marketing Cloud, primarily AEM Sites, Target, and Analytics or similar Martech stack a plus
- Agile/SCRUM experience specifically in Story/Acceptance criteria development
- Experience with JIRA/Confluence or similar Agile collaboration tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively present complex information clearly and appropriately handle sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing business priorities and a strong work ethic
- Deep curiosity in emerging digital trends and ability to translate into friction-less customer experiences